Here’s one of the best first-time crochet projects for those just getting started – a gorgeous little DIY Pop Ring Flower you can knock together in minutes! You’ll find a million and one uses for these upcycled flowers, which means you’ll no doubt find yourself making dozens of the at a time – perfect for practicing the amazing art of crochet!
As you can see, it’s a pretty cool way of making good use of soda-can tabs that would otherwise just find their way into the trash – we just love a project that allows you to make something special out of nothing at all!
What You’ll Need
In terms of the list of supplies, there’s really not a great deal to it at all:
- Six soda pull tabs
- Crochet thread
- Wire cutters
- Crochet needle
- Pull together a bunch of tabs from soda cans that are in good condition and have no real sharp edges. If there’s anything to sharp or protruding, cut it off using the wire cutters.
- Join the tabs using a series of crochet stitches at the thin side of the tab, as you can see in the images above. When you have a series of six tabs in a row, complete the circle as illustrated.
- You can then move onto filling in the circle in the center with the same color of yarn you’ve used to connect the tabs so far.
- The next stage is to add the color of your choice to the ‘petals’ of the flower, which in this case are the other ends of the soda can tab. Use the same color or any other color of your choosing.
- Once you’ve gone full circle, it’s a simple case of joining the final petal with the first petal using a single stitch.
Check out the video below to see the process in motion and have fun!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
If you’re looking for more inspiration to make cute crochet flowers, see this beginner’s guide to crochet button flowers. It’s fun, easy to make, and looks extremely cute.