There’s only one thing better than a homemade gift – a homemade gift that’s every bit as delicious as it is gorgeous-looking! And that’s why we cannot recommend these DIY Apple Roses highly enough – a professional quality sweet treat you can knock up at home in no time at all and for little to no cost!
Perfect for parties, brilliant for birthdays and amazing for anniversaries, chances are you’ll always find a great excuse for whipping up a batch of these! Perhaps best of all – they’re so much easier to make than their looks give away, so you’re guaranteed to impress anyone lucky enough to share them with you!
What You’ll Need (Makes Around 11 Roses)
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (About 250gr – 1/2lbs, Can Be More)
- 3 Apples
- 5 Tbsp Granulated White Sugar (Or Brown Sugar, Or A Mix Of Both)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar (Or 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Lemon (Juice And Zest)
- 2 Tbsp Of Warm Apricot Jam
How to make DIY Apple Roses
- Slice the apples thinly as seen in the pictures
- Place the apples into a saucepan, covers with warm water and add 2 Tbsp sugar and the lemon juice. Bring the water to boil until the apple slices are soft and flexible (not more than 2 minutes)
- Drain the apples, place them a clean cloth or paper towel and let the dry and cool off (approx. 15 minutes)
- Mix 3 Tbsp of sugar with the cinnamon, vanilla sugar and lemon zest. Lay the puff pastry sheet down on a baking sheet , sprinkle it with the sugar-cinnamon mixture and cut with a pastry cutter long and 1,5 cm / 1/2 inch wide stripes.
- Preheat the oven to 390F / 200C.
- Take the apple slices and place them on the strips, overlapping them to make the rose-like design.
- Roll the pastry out thinly and evenly.
- Place the roses on a baking sheet or use a greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they are golden brown. Now brush the still warm roses with hot apricot jam. This will give the rose a beautiful shiny gloss, and also prevents the apple from drying out!
Amazing photography by Daniela from SweetLaab