Trust us when we say that once you’ve made your first cupcake caterpillar, chances are you’ll never choose a store-bought celebration cake again!
Brilliant for kids’ parties and really for any kind of special occasion across the board, you’ll save time and money by whipping up your own culinary masterpiece with just a few simple ingredients! Guaranteed to steal the show at any event, you can make the caterpillar pretty much any size, shape and overall design of your choosing to best-suit the lucky recipients!
A delicious dessert that’s a work of art in its own right, your family and friends simply will not believe it’s 100% homemade!
You can of course buy the cupcakes in from a bakery and just take care of the decorating, but probably you know by now that homemade always tastes best! In which case you’ll need:
- 125 g butter
- 300 g flour
- 225 g white sugar
- 200 ml water
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- For the Frosting:
- 200 g butter
- 350 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 pinch(es) salt
- 1 pinch(es) vanilla extract
- For decoration:
- Assorted candies, candy-coated chocolate pieces, red string licorice, lollipops, and gummy worms
VIEW IN GALLERY VIEW IN GALLERY
Caterpillar Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth
- Pour mixture into cupcake cases, bake for 15 minutes at 170°C
- Combine the frosting ingredients and leave the mixture in a cool place for 20 minutes to begin thickening
- Use a piping bag or spatula to add frosting to the top of each cupcake
- Arrange the cupcakes one after the other as seen in the illustrations here
- Decorate the front and rear cupcakes accordingly, adding jelly worms and other extras for the caterpillar’s legs and antennae
For another idea, you can go ahead and say thank you to Lyndsay from Coco Cake Land, for the amazing caterpillar cupcake cake below. It’s so amazing.